Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Our "New" Van!

Well, we are officially mini-van owners! I thought I would never drive a mini-van. That was of course, before kids! I have been researching (consumer's guide, asking friends, etc) vans since before I had Clara. Our first experience with looking for a van went like this....we thought we had found the perfect van, my husband Patrick went and looked at it, took his father to show him the van and everything. He loved it! He gave me the go ahead and all I had to do was test drive it and call the bank! Well, I called the bank (before I even drove the van - mistake I tend to get very excited about things! LOL!) and went to test drive this van. On my way to the dealership, the bank called and we got the loan - YAY! She was going to get the paperwork ready and we just had to go in and sign them - the van was ours. That poor lady, spent all that time with us for nothing. Well, I got to the dealership, he was expecting me. I got in and it was every bit as nice as Patrick had said it was. It had all the features I wanted and then some. Well, I drove it away and was very excited and nervous. This is a big deal (to me anyway). I am always second guessing myself and my instincts. So I am riding along and testing out all the important things - the A/C, the CD player, cruise control - ha! I get on the interstate and get it up to speed and all of a sudden I am losing speed. The van had just shut down on me! I was terrified. I had to pull of the road, but everything was power and I had just lost my power! I got it off the road and put it in park and started it up again. It started, then quit. I was so sick to my stomach. After the van quitting on me 2 other times, I finally made it back to the dealer. I was so mad and disappointed. He assured me this had never happened before (I would hope he was telling the truth). Needless to say we didn't get the van. So I was very sad and decided we could make due with our car for at least a year, who knew that lifting a 15 pound baby in a 10 pound baby carrier in and out of my Nissan Altima (in the middle of two other carseats) would get old? Well, it did! (I made it at least 3 months - ha!) Well, I started looking again and this experience went much better. So I am happy to say that we are the proud owners of a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (not sure what makes it a Sport, but it sounds cool). It's a really pretty blue and has all I was looking for! Grace loves it, the only thing she wanted to know was if it would play CD's (I have taught her well - ha!). So far we love it and it has only been a day. I am told I will wonder what I ever did without one.

Check back later to see about our zoo trip and our family reunion. I have been busy doing other stuff so I am kind of behind on updating my blog. Sorry. I will also try and post pictures of my cards for the card club I am in!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You will love going from the car to a van!!! It makes it so much easier when you have several children. I know all about the car verses van.

Unknown said...

Congrats Shawna! I think it is a really pretty color, too!

The Iowa Ross Family said...

Vans are the best, who would have ever thought we would be saying that, we must be mothers!!!